Tuck Everlasting is a novel about decisions-choices about independence and values and actions that affect and change people's lives.
Think of a time that you had to make a difficult choice or decision.
1.Describe the situation you found yourself in,
2. Explain the choice you made and why you made the choice you did,
3. Describe how you think this decision affected your life both short-term and long-term.
4.If you had it to do over again, would you make the same choice or do something differently?
Remember this will be read by quite a few people, so if you mention a friend please don't refer to him/her by name and be sure you are comfortable with people reading your response.
Looking forward to our last blog,
Ms. Torello
Wednesday, May 19, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
45 comments:
1. A when I had to make a difficult choice was when i was in a plane crash with my dad. The choice that I had to make was either stand on the wing of the airplane or swim to dry land. We eventually chose to do both. we stood on the wing until the plane sank so much that the water was up to our chests, and that is when we eventually started to swim to a mudflat. This effected me short term because when i got into the water, i telling myself that I don't want to die and it affected me long term because i will always remember those experiences and it will haunt me for life. If i had to do it over again, I wouldn't because it was scary enough to go through it once, let alone a second time.
1) My parents were making me go to bed and stop watching TV and I could of been obedient and gone to bed like they said, but, being the stubborn person I am, yelled and said I didn't want to go to bed.
2) I made the choice because I'm super hot-headed. =)
3) I think it affected my short-term life because my parents got mad at me and I had tension with them for a day or two. It affected my long-term life because its caused my parents to trust me less with letting me watch a TV show late at night.
4) If I had to do it over again I would obviously not yell and either calmly try to convince my parents to let me stay up, or just go to bed.
1. I never really found myself in a difficult situation but if I did, I would think about the pros and cons. There was a time when I had to decide whether to go to a family trip or stay home.
2. I stayed home while my family was attending the trip. I wanted to stay home because I was a little worried about going to a trip without my parents.
3. I was a little bit sad that I did not get to go on a trip but I was okay with that.
4. I would have gone on the trip to explore and discover new things.
1. One time I had to make a difficult decision which was either choosing to play tennis or soccer. I was really good at both of the sports but since I was to busy with other things I had to give one of the sports up. Another reason why this was a hard decision was because my mom wanted me to play soccer but my dad wanted me to play tennis.
2. The choice I made was to play tennis because it required less work of finding teams. I made this choice also because I started learning new tricks unlike soccer that I wasn't learning anything new.
3. This decision affected me by making my soccer skills go down but my tennis skills go up in the short term. I haven't yet found out what is going to happen in the long term.
4. If I did it over again I would have made the same choice because ever since I had picked tennis over soccer I have improved significantly. But the only thing I do regret about my choice is my fitness skills which have gone down ever since I stopped playing soccer.
In the beginning of the school year, I had to choose between French and Spanish. I chose French because I wanted to try something new. This affected my life short term because it was what I would be studying for the next year. It affected me log term because it would be the foreign language I would take throughout my life. If I could do it over again, I would take Spanish. It is a more useful language and more people speak it.
1. In 4th grade I got invited to go to my brother’s school for 5th grade. His school teaches Chinese half the day and English half the day. My parents really wanted me to go there, but I was not so sure. Finally, my parents said I can choose. I finally decided I wanted to stay at west for the 5th grade.
2. I made that decision because that school is in San Francisco and is very far, and I would miss my friends.
3. I think this affected my dad because now he is on the school board.
4. I think I would not have changed my decision. Because I am having a great time at Crocker!!!
when I had to make a difficult choice was when i was in the woods and my cousin left me and i had to find my way out of the woods or finf=d him and i choose to do both i found hi and we went back to the house the long way with thorn tree and wheird animals. if i ever had to do that again i wuold be fine.
1. One time I had to make a tough decision was when I yelled at my parents. Sometimes I feel like thay are being mean, but most of the time I shouldn't.
2. I yelled at them because sometimes I feel like my parents are to hard but I know they are not.
3. It hurts my parents feelings and it makes them not want to do things for them.
4. I would want to change it,I would never want to yell at my parents
One time I had to make a difficult choice was a week ago and I had to choose either to repeat Spanish 1 or make up the work during summer.
1. I had a tough choice to make. To work hard or to redo everything.
2. I chose to repeat Spanish 1 because Mrs. Espana said she wouldn't be here next year to help me in Spanish 2, so if she wasn't here I wasn't sure if the new teacher would be nice. I chose to repeat Spanish 1.
3. I haven't been affected in this decision yet because I haven't tried to catch up yet and i also haven't stated to redo Spanish 1 yet.
4. I think once I start doing either one I would chose the choice I had.
1)A difficult decision that I had to make recently was to play club soccer or club volleyball. I wanted to do both because I was fairly good at soccer and okay at volleyball.
2)I eventually choose to do volleyball because I wanted to try something new for a change and even though I wanted to do soccer really bad, choosing volleyball was a great choice for me. :)
3)I don't really know how this choice affected me short term. It affected me long term because I still love soccer and want to play but I have enjoyed volleyball A LOT and want to continue playing even though I still have to work on some things.
4)If I had to make the choice over again I would probably choose soccer just to see what it would be like and if I regretted that choice. Even today I wouldn't mind playing soccer at all but then again, I love volleyball and I think I made the right decision. :D
1. Once I had to decide whether I would go on a skiing (my favorite winter sport) trip with my Boy Scout troop or help at the Cub Scout pinewood derby my dad was working on.
2. I decided to stay and do the Cub Scout derby because I wanted to watch my brother's car race and my dad told me there would be a new replay system.
3. This affected me in the short term because I was not able to going skiing at that time (I did, eventually, a couple months later). Also, this affected me because it gave me a few community service hours. This has not yet affected me in the long term.
4. If I did it over again, I would not make a different decision. The whole weekend was fun and it was a great experience.
The difficult decision that I had to face was that I had to chose between a game which was COD 6 or MAG. The choice that I made was COD 6 because a lot of other people were bugging me to get it. This effected my life by entertaining me and for long term it helped me get friends. Yes I would have made the same choice.
1. My situation was not like life threatening or anything. It was when I was deciding whether to get a cancer shot the day I went to the doctor. My other choice was to get it when I was 13 (I was about 10 or 11 when i had to make this choice).
2. I decided to get the shot that day because i wanted to get it over with rather than going in 2-3 years when I would be fretting over it for that long.
3. I think the decision effected me short term and long term because I had to get 3 of them in total (1 each two months). It effected me because when the shots were over I felt really good because I was finished with shots until I am 15. But also on the other hand it effected me short term in a negative way. The reasoning for that was that they really hurt a lot while they were being done and after they were done.
4. If I could do it again I probably would choose the same thing because I can take the pain. Its not really that bad but it still hurts but, when its over you feel like you made the right decision.
1.I had to make an extremely difficult decision when I had to choose between choice A ( going to a family picnic that I miss a lot), or choice B (performing in a talent show with my friends and possibly winning $10).
2. I usually would go with my family, but I decided to go with my friends. I made this choice, because the picnic is every year,however this talent show is a one in a life time opportunity.
3.I haven't yet actually done the talent show so the best I can do is predict... Well here is what I think. I think that my family will be sad, but they have lots of fun and I may leave early so I can see them. I think that everybody performing will have a great time.
4. If I had to do it again I would know if I'd do something else because I haven't done it yet...
My decision was when I would decide whether to try out for the symphonic band or not.I made the choice I did because I thought that it would be a fun experience, and I knew it could also improve my musical skills. It is good short term because I think that it will be good for me to do this. Also, long term, it might look good o a resume or application. If I did it over again, I would definitely do it over again.
1. Once when I was rock climbing I was almost to the top ,but right then and there I looked down and I did not know that I was afraid of heights so I got really scared .
2. What I was think what I was going to do: A. Be a Man and go up to the top or B. Be very scared
And go back down so everyone could laugh at me from above. My choice was to go down because I think that I could not go another step without falling. When I went to the ground I heard laughing from above me.
3. I made myself look like a fool and a bad name for myself and I think that I sould of went up like all the other people.
4. I wish that I had not down that because it made me feel very bad and it was not very fun to go though.
My brother and I were in the kitchen and he said something mean to me and I was thinking if I should say something mean back. I decided to not say anything because I knew It wouldn’t solve anything. This didn’t really affect my life short or long term. If it happen again I would do the same thing.
1. I can’t remember how old I was but I got lost at the airport and I couldn’t see my family.
2. I decided to look for them in the bookstore and I found them, even though I wasn’t lost for very long it was still scary.
3. I think my decision to look for them instead of staying still and waiting for them affected me in the short term because if I stood still maybe it would have taken them longer to find me and maybe we would have missed our flight.
4. If I had to do it over again I would probably try to find them and if I couldn’t I would go back to where they last saw me so that if they called security and told them where they last saw me I would still be there.
1. The situation I was in where I had to make a difficult decision was in 3rd grade when I caught a person cheating on a Spelling Test. I wasn’t to tell the teacher or just keep it to myself. I went home after school and asked my parents what to do, they said if I caught the person cheating again then tell the teacher, but don’t tell the teacher now. So I didn’t tell the teacher, and I didn’t see the person cheating again.
2. I made my decision because I didn’t want to be a tattletale, but I knew cheating was wrong, so I didn’t know what to do. That is why I asked my parents for advice.
3. This did not really affect me, but it would have affected the person if I had told the teacher because they would have gotten in trouble and I would be a tattletale.
4. I would make the same decision again, but I would definitely tell the teacher if they did it again
1) Last summer, I had the choice to transfer to Crocker or stay at my old school district to go to Westborough Middle School.
2) I chose to go to Crocker (or I wouldn't be answering this question for this class) because I thought that Crocker would be a pretty cool school. Plus, my cousin was really successful here at Crocker, so that kind of turned the scale to Crocker.
3) As a long-term effect, I drifted away from my SSF friends and as a short-term effect...I got to meet some cool, nice people...:3
4) I might have changed my decision or might have not. There are very good reasons for both sides, firstly, I would have changed my decision so I could be really close with my old friends again, or I would have the same reason (my friends at Crocker) to stay here.
To make the choice again would be very, very difficult to make, and I can't give a final word on that.
[(X)-----] XBOX!!!
Once I had to decide whether I was going to stay with my original swim team (BAC) or move to another team (OSC). In the end I decided to move to OSC, because I thought that they could help me with my swimming more than BAC. My decision made me better already in my stroke technique. But, I miss all my friends at BAC and they miss me. For short term, I will definitely improve. For long term, I think I will still improve, but I'm not completely sure. If I was to do it over again, I would still make the same choice and move to OSC.
(I made this decision about 2 weeks ago) :)
Once I caught a fish when I was in Indiana and I had to decide to let it go or keep it. I decided to let it go because It was a small fish anyway so it was kind of pointless to keep it and also because it was the right thing to do. It affected me short term because I felt good that I let it go and It affected me long term because it made me feel like I was a better person for a very long time. If i had to do it again I woud have done the same thing.
p.s. while we were their we found a stray cat and fed it tuna which prevented it from starving to death. We gave it to some people who have cats and eventually it had 4 kittens. :)!!!
1. One time I got a very demanding teacher at Chinese school and I had the decision to stay or quit. My teacher was demanding because she gave out eleven to twenty pages of homework even though I was only in first grade. I’m not trying to be funny; I’m serious when I say eleven to twenty pages of homework. This was hard because for some of my friends Chinese school was our only connection and because I wanted to do something with my sister.
2. In the end I decided to tough it out and try my best and that maybe this teacher will help me learn more, besides she was really nice.
3. My decision affected my life short termed because I did end up getting better scores, but in the long run it affected my life by keeping me in Chinese school which is good that I learn another language but it’s also bad because then my Saturday’s grow boring.
4. I would definitely stick with my decision or else I would feel insignificant if some one ever compared me to my sister, but now I’m the one who’s more fluent. :0 ;) =)
1.I had to make a difficult decision when i was trying to find out what phone I get, i had to decide whether to get the I Phone or the Droid.
2.I decided to get the Droid because im horrible at typing on touch screens but the Droid had a full key pad and faster internet in California.
3.This has affected my life because if it wasn't for my phone I wouldn't be doing my blog right now and I would be receiving a study hall from my favorite teacher for not doing my home work.
4.If I had the chance to I still wouldn't change my mind.
1. One time when I found myself in a bad situation was when all my family was aking me what I wanted for my birthday and I had no clue what to tell them.
2. I just told them some reandom stuff like a hat or shoes, and a actually told my aunt that I would like a stuffed animal. That ended up working out pretty well.
3. This effected my life because I got a new best friend and his name is tigger.
I would make the same chice because I really like all my gifts and they are fun to play with.
1. One time I had to decide whether or not to go to a track meet because I wasn't sure if there were any events I could compete in because I was absent at the qualifying rounds.
2. I decided to go to the meet because I discovered that could do the relay race in track and that I would let down my entire team if I didn't go and participate.
3. This decision made me very happy because I did pretty good in the meet and I ended up glad that I went. I also got my fastest mile time ever which will encourage me to work harder at my physical fitness.
4. I would make the same choice because I wouldn't be as confident about running if I hadn't gone.
1.When I was in 1st grade I tried to pull the fire alarm with my friends. Luckily I was too short and failed. 2.I tried to pull the fire alarm. And I tried to do it because I was in first grade and I was stupid. 3.If I did pull it, I would of been in really big trouble. Even though I didn't though, a bunch of cops got involved , and I was still in trouble.4.I would definitely not try to pull the fire alarm because I am way more smarter than in 1st grade.
One difficult desicion i have had to make is wheather to go with my mom and brother to bston to see my cousins or go with my dad to arizona for a buisiness trip. this was a hard desicion to make because i love my cousins alot and only get to see them so many times per year, yet i wanted to have quality time with my dad in a nice sunny place. i ended up going with my father because i thought that the quality time was more important than vacationing with my cousins. Looking back now i would make the same decision because my dad is the one i see the least in my imeadiate family.
When I made my difficult decision it was because I had to choose between stopping select soccer or staying. Eventually, I chose to stay because other people told me that I had alot of passion and could go very far. Right now I am playing for a class one soccer team as their goal keeper. It affected me short term because i am still on the team and still progressing towards my goal. It affected me long term because I am that much closer to my goal.
1. When I had to make a difficlt choice to make was when I had to decide whether to do club soccer or not.
2. My choice was to do it because I didn't want to waste what I had.
3. This choice affected me long term because if I didn't join, I would always regret what I did if I couldn't get in again. This affected me short term because I kept thinking what I should do before making my final choice.
4. If I had to do it over again, I would make the same decision.
1.Describe the situation you found yourself in,
I was in Mexico and I wanted to go snorkeling but the only way to get into the water was to go in through a ladder which I didn’t want to do because I am afraid of heights, although everyone else was going through the ladder my dad asked me if I wanted to walk in instead.
2. Explain the choice you made and why you made the choice you did,
I decided to walk in because I knew I would be really scared if I went on the ladder.
3. Describe how you think this decision affected your life both short-term and long-term.
It was a bad choice because the reason nobody was walking in was because there were jellyfish and I ended up getting stung, worse is instead of snorkeling and enjoying the trip I couldn’t walk or swim. The good thing is now I’m not as afraid of heights and I have went snorkeling when I had to use a ladder. If that happened I may have missed out on some of the cool snorkeling trips I went on, including one where I even saw a shark, but now I’m majorly afraid of jellyfish!
4.If you had it to do over again, would you make the same choice or do something differently?
I would have made the same choice though I ended up getting stung because if I hadn’t done that I would have missed out on some great snorkeling trips I did later!
1.When I had to make a diffcult choice was when I lost a bet with my tennis coach. The bet was I had to do 1,000 jump ropes. My choice was to do it because I knew it would be good for my physical developement. This affected my life short-term because I thought my coach was crazy and didn't want to do it. It affected me long-term because I started thinking my coach wasn't that crazy and it made me feel like I accomplished something. If I had to do it again, I would bargain my coach for 500 jump ropes instead of doing 1,000.
1 I had to make a dicision I either had to go to go to a soccer game or a basketball game.
2 I went to my soccer game because I like soccer more than basketball and it was a C.Y game and I really cant miss those games because my coach would get mad at me.
3 It effected me short term because my coach will get mad at me and he might not put me in the next game. It will affect me in long term next time I might not get picked for another team because I chose soccer over basketball.
4 I would make the same choice because I like soccer more than basketball and soccer is more important to me.
A time when I had to make a difficult decision was when my dad told me that I could only play two sports. The sports that I had to choose from were baseball, basketball, and golf.
I chose to play basketball and golf, because I thought that I should play a variety of sports, team sports, and individual sports. I also chose those two sports, because I was better at them. I wasn't so good at baseball.
This decision affected me in the short-term by giving me two sports to excel at, instead of three sports to be okay at. It has affected me in the long-term by making me get better at basketball and golf, and worse at baseball.
If I had the opportunity to redo the decision, I would still make this decision. Now that I have more time to play basketball and golf, I have had more time to get better.
Once I had to decide between doing a competition for snowboarding and trying to do a trick that I have never done before, or doing a trick that I have done before and I no i could land and maybe not getting as high of a position that I would make if I did it. I decided to try it because snowboarding is all about taking risks. This decision has effected me short term by having a lot of people recognize me for snowboarding, and for long term I can now snowboard in more higher rank competitions and now I am closer to reaching my goal of getting into the winter Olympics. If I had to do it over again I would make the same decision.
(p.s. the trick was a backside 720)
1. One time I had the decision to leave Burlingame or go to another team which was better than the team I was at.
2. I made the choice to leave Burlingame to try out for the other team.
3. This decision did not affect me too badly because I did not make the team but the people at Burlingame might think I do not want to play with them.
4. If I had to make this decision again I would chose not to try out for the team because I have found another team that is better. If I was playing with the other team then I would feel like I should not leave.
A time I had to make a difficult decision was when I had to make a decision between two of my friends. One was making me choose between her and someone else. I chose the other person because I didn’t want to be friends with someone who makes me choose between two people long term it was a good decision because made a friend for life short term the other person hated me. If I had to do it over again I would stick with my original decision.
1)One time I had to make a tough decision was when I had to decide to go to my best friends birthday or my brothers senior fashion show for the seniors.
2)I made the choice to go to my brothers graduation. I felt I could go to her party anyday and my brothers only going to have a senior fashion show with all his friends once.
3) This decision affected me because I had to choose and it made brother really happy with me and now we are even closer than before.
4) If I could do it again I would stick with my decision.
**Thanks for letting me doing it during class tim Mrs. Torello!!!**
1) The situation I was in when I had to make a difficult decision was when I was deciding to do CYSO soccer or club volleyball.
2) I decided to do club Volleyball because I enjoyed playing volleyball in school and I wanted to continue with it.
3) It affected me short term because it would determine what sport I would be devoting my time to. It affected me long term because I got better at volleyball.
4) If I had to do it over again I would still make the same decision because I loved playing Club volleyball and I learned a lot
1 One time on a Saturday, I had a bar mitzvah and a baseball game at the same time.
2. The choice I made was, I knew the baseball game was pre-season so it wouldn't count. So, in the end, I choose to go to the bar mitzvah.
3. I think I made a good decision because, it was a pre-season game.
4. I would make the same choice again if I could because, a bar mitzvah is a once in a lifetime thing that you do when you are 13.
1. One of the difficult decisions I made was when I had to choose to go with my mom to San Diego or stay with my dad at home and it was hard to choose because I loved them both and I don’t want to hurt one of them and go enjoy with another.
2. I decided to go with my mom since she wouldn’t have any company when she was gone and my dad had my brother. Anyway it would only be two days and I can have fun with my mom.
3. It affected my life because the next time either has a trip I can go with my dad since I did with my mom before, and now my parents know that I didn’t choose because I love them differently.
4. I wouldn’t make a change because of the same reason it was only two days and my dad had my brother so it was even.
1 one time I was sick and I stayed home from school. And I had a baseball playoff game that night.
2 I made the decision to play even though I was sick and throwing up. Even though I was extremely sick I pitched a one hitter.
3It was one of my best pitched games and I was sick!
4 If I had do to it over again I would definately choose the same thing because it was awsome and I felt better after the game.
1. During the summer when I was about to enter 3rd grade I had to decide whether to quit ballet or to quit sewing. I really like both of them so it really was a hard decision to make.
2. I made the choice to keep on doing ballet because I realized that I liked it more than sewing. Even though I liked them both a lot their was something in my mind that wanted me to continue on with ballet
3. This decision mostly affected me in long-term because over time I got better and better in ballet and I was think that sewing got boring and wouldn’t be as fun as ballet.
4. If I had to do it over again I would do everything the same because I’ve realized now that I don’t just like ballet I love it a lot.
1. I had to make a decision after I tore my ACL if I should play basketball and tear it again.
2. I really wanted to play basketball so I did it but it didn’t work out so well.
3. It affected a lot because now I cant do sports for a while and In the future I could tear it again.
4. I would never do it again because it hurts a lot and its not worth going through an operation again.
1. Describe the situation you found yourself in,
The first time I went to sleep away camp I went on at trampoline and was doing flips. I looked at my counselor and she said don’t get hurt the next thing in no is that I can’t walk stand straight and I was in such shock I felt like I forgot how to breath.
2. Explain the choice you made and why you made the choice you did,
Well I made this choice because my friend and I were having a competition.
3. Describe how you think this decision affected your life both short-term and long-term.
When I first told my mom and dad the were freaked out and was mad the camp didn’t call.
And for three years after that I did not go on anything that was a trampoline or a jumpy and the firs time since that my friend convinced me to go on trampolines but It still freaks me out.
4.If you had it to do over again, would you make the same choice or do something differently? If I had to do this over again I probably would not even have the come and do the competition.
Post a Comment